What is Lexical Verb?




Definition of Lexical Verb



Lexical verb is also called as main verb or full verb. We can
define it as “Lexical verb is any verb that is not an auxiliary verb (helping
verb)”. The verb phrase used is a sentence is headed by the lexical verb.


What is Lexical Verb


Lexical verbs are used as the main verb
in the sentence. It carries real-world and semantic meaning that’s why called
as the main verb. Lexical verbs are open-class of verbs which contains all
verbs except auxiliary verb. Lexical verb denotes the main action to which the
subject is engaged in. It does not require the presence of an auxiliary verb in
the sentence whereas an auxiliary verb is used in the sentence only to help a
lexical verb. Lexical verb can exist alone in the sentence.


For Example:




  • You

  • He laughed.

  • They ran.

  • She danced in
    public.

  • He googled my
    question to know the answer.



What are the differences between lexical
verbs and auxiliary verbs?


  • Auxiliary verbs become the helping
    verbs in the sentence. They help or support something else in the sentence
    and become the secondary to something more significant.

  • Lexical verbs become main verbs in
    the phrase or sentence. Lexical verbs can be any verb which is not
    auxiliary verb. It carries its own meaning that’s why can exist alone in
    the sentence and don't necessarily need the use of helping or auxiliary
    verb.



For example:


I was acting very fast today at the carnival. (In this
sentence, ‘was’ is auxiliary verb whereas ‘acting’ is lexical verb as it
describes the main state or action of the subject.


Whenever I go to the restaurant, I will want the crab.
(In this sentence, ‘will’ is auxiliary verb and ‘want’ is lexical verb as it
shows main action of the subject).


  • Examples of auxiliary verbs are
    like: may, be, was, is, had, has, have, could, would, can, did, might,
    etc.

  • Examples of lexical verbs are
    like: run, laugh, see, think, want, act, pull, walk, go, make, etc.



Examples of Lexical Verbs/Use of Lexical
Verbs in the Sentence


Following are some examples showing the use of lexical
verbs in the sentence:


Simple tenses use only the lexical verbs in the form:
subject + lexical verb. Such as:


  • I run.

  • I ate.

  • I walked.

  • I laughed.

  • I tried.



Continuous or perfect tenses use both, an auxiliary verb
and a lexical verb in the form: subject + auxiliary verb + lexical verb. Such
as:


  • I had run.

  • I was acting.

  • I was eating.

  • I was laughing.

  • I was walking.

  • I was drawing.



Lexical verbs can exist alone; however, auxiliary verbs
require the use of lexical verbs to make sense. Such as:


  • She will in the garden. (It is the
    sentence with auxiliary verb but without lexical verb which makes no
    sense.)

  • She will dance in the garden. (In
    this sentence, ‘will’ is auxiliary verb and ‘dance’ is lexical verb. Thus
    sentence is complete and makes sense.)

  • He rested in the Five Star Hotel.
    (It is the sentence with only lexical verb ‘rested’; however, makes sense
    and complete without use of auxiliary verb.)

  • He was organizing fresher party
    last week. (It is the sentence with both, auxiliary verb ‘was’ and lexical
    verb ‘organizing’.)



Lexical Verb Exercises for you


Lexical verb exercises given below will help you in
analyzing your knowledge about lexical verb. Just go through all the details
given above about the lexical verb and check your skill by doing following
exercises for lexical verb. We have used lexical verbs in the following
sentences; you need to check your skill by identifying lexical verbs in each
sentence:


  1. I will have the dinner.

  2. I do my homework daily on the way
    to school.

  3. She laughed only on my interesting
    jokes.

  4. He sings song very well.

  5. He ran very slowly.

  6. My class teacher scolded me.

  7. He loves Chinese recipes very
    much.

  8. I have taken a dog from obedience
    training.

  9. I will pretend myself to be
    asleep.

  10. I will be attending the meeting
    this evening next week.

  11. I will buy this jacket for you.

  12. I am giving haircut service for 30
    years.

  13. He will pick me at my home.

  14. She will not bring lunch today.

  15. I will not go to school today.

  16. My mother will give me birthday
    present.

  17. We go to abroad this summer.

  18. I will celebrate my birthday in
    the five star restaurant.

  19. I am doing preparations for my
    final exams.

  20. I was studying in London in those
    days.



Answers:
1 – have, 2 – do, 3 – laughed, 4 – sings, 5 – ran, 6 – scolded, 7 – loves, 8 –
taken, 9 – pretend, 10 – attending, 11 – buy, 12 – giving, 13 – pick, 14 –
bring, 15 – go, 16 – give, 17 – go, 18 – celebrate, 19 – doing, 20 – studying


No comments

Featured Post

Pahela Baishakh Paragraph The First Day Of Bengali New Year

Pahela Baishakh Paragraph The First Day Of Bengali New Year

Powered by Blogger.