The Good-Morrow- JOHN DONNE




The
Good-Morrow


BY JOHN
DONNE






I
wonder, by my troth, what thou and I


Did,
till we loved? Were we not weaned till then?


But
sucked on country pleasures, childishly?


Or
snorted we in the Seven Sleepers’ den?


’Twas
so; but this, all pleasures fancies be.


If ever
any beauty I did see,


Which I
desired, and got, ’twas but a dream of thee.





And now
good-morrow to our waking souls,


Which
watch not one another out of fear;


For
love, all love of other sights controls,


And
makes one little room an everywhere.


Let
sea-discoverers to new worlds have gone,


Let
maps to other, worlds on worlds have shown,


Let us
possess one world, each hath one, and is one.





My face
in thine eye, thine in mine appears,


And
true plain hearts do in the faces rest;


Where
can we find two better hemispheres,


Without
sharp north, without declining west?


Whatever
dies, was not mixed equally;


If our
two loves be one, or, thou and I


Love so
alike, that none do slacken, none can die.


No comments

Featured Post

Pahela Baishakh Paragraph The First Day Of Bengali New Year

Pahela Baishakh Paragraph The First Day Of Bengali New Year

Powered by Blogger.