Learning Grief – Kaisar Haq









Learning Grief


by Kaiser Haq





A study in contrast: at eight


I was dragged from bed


To hand a glass of water


To grandmother in deathbed.


She drank


I went back to sleep


And when I woke up


It was so the stillness


And stifled sobs


Of mourning.


Relations arrived


And religious professionals


Droning from scriptures


As essence smoke rose


In fragrant coils


Father was red-eyed


Withdrawn a sight


To be commented on


By my neighborhood friends


His mother has died, they said,


Clucking in sympathy


I remember feeling


Nothing except that the whole


Scene was novel. The clock


Of my life did not stop


As I did when I was ten


And a sister arrived like a silver


Of moonlight erased


Almost at once by a dark mop


Of cloud: winter pneumonia.


Mother’s gloom was long


As the night, and at school


Day after tasteless day


Under the austere miniature


Of the crucifixion


I went through lesions and exercises,


Sombre as any penitent monk.


Watching friends at play,


At their pranks, I thought:


I’ll never laugh or smile, I’ll never


Feel joy again. Everyone,


Bless them,left me alone


Until one day, like the earth


Feeling its contours change


As seeds detonate under rain


I felt the clock of my life begin


To tick again as a joke


Burst from my lips.


I can laugh again, I thought


Smiling. I had learned grief.


...The End...


No comments

Featured Post

Pahela Baishakh Paragraph The First Day Of Bengali New Year

Pahela Baishakh Paragraph The First Day Of Bengali New Year

Powered by Blogger.