Because I Could not Stop for Death – Emily Dickinson






Because I could not stop for Death 


Emily Dickinson, 1830 - 1886





 Because I could not stop for Death –


He kindly stopped for me – 


The Carriage held but just Ourselves – 


And Immortality.





We slowly drove – He knew no haste


And I had put away


My labor and my leisure too,


For His Civility –





We passed the School, where Children strove


At Recess – in the Ring – 


We passed the Fields of Gazing Grain – 


We passed the Setting Sun –





Or rather – He passed us –


The Dews drew quivering and chill –


For only Gossamer, my Gown –


My Tippet – only Tulle –





We paused before a House that seemed


A Swelling of the Ground –


The Roof was scarcely visible –


The Cornice – in the Ground –





Since then – ‘tis Centuries – and yet


Feels shorter than the Day


I first surmised the Horses’ Heads


Were toward Eternity –

No comments

Featured Post

Pahela Baishakh Paragraph The First Day Of Bengali New Year

Pahela Baishakh Paragraph The First Day Of Bengali New Year

Powered by Blogger.